Friday, December 4, 2009

Uganda - the first half of the trip

Where do I begin????

Kampala: Since I couldn't sleep on the plane it wasn't so hard to fall asleep in our hotel room to the sound of loud music and partying in the streets outside . Can you tell I am not a city girl? The hotel was very nice. At least we got to stay there one night :) The next day we got to look at 2 houses in the city as we prayerfully consider if God would have us move to Kampala. The houses were all very nice. Nice big walls around them with broken glass or barbed wire lining the top. A good deterrent to any thieves, vagabonds, etc. Comforting. Really. Seriously, the houses were better than I had imagined. The rental prices were also higher than I had expected, but we see the house as a ministry tool for short-term visitors, so I guess we need the extra room. After looking at the houses we had a nice lunch - Sambosa. Kinda like a deep fried hot pocket full of veges or beef or fish. Pretty tasty. Oh, it's the time of year for grasshoppers too. You can buy fried grasshoppers on the side of the road. People are carrying them around in huge plastic containers and will sell you a small or large paper bag of them. So Dr. Val bought us a small bag. I use the term us loosely. Jason and Val ate a few. Not me. Not that hungry. Thanks anyway though.

On to Soroti: Does anyone like Robert Earl Keen? The road goes on forever..... We drove the rest of the afternoon, had dinner (chicken stir fry- yummy) near Mt. Elgon then made it to our "bed and breakfast" in Soroti. We had a nice place with another hot shower - this is where the hot showers end for a while. Just thought I'd point that out. The next morning we were off again.

To Kangole: Did I already say that the road goes on forever? New things are always exciting though, so we didn't mind. All the people, huts, termite mounds, potholes we passed were interesting to us. Then we got to the mountains just before Kangole. Very beautiful - Jason will be irritated that I don't remember the name of them :) I'll post pictures when I find the camera. They mark the entry into Karamoja. This is the area Dr. Val spends most of her time in. God is doing some amazing things out there. Dr. Val has helped facilitate peace villages among the fighting tribes in an area that had previously been uninhabited due to fear of cattle raids and the fighting and bloodshed that follows. I know I am not doing Dr. Val or the peace villages any justice - I am sure she could write a book on it. Just trust me, God is doing some amazing things.

We spent the next 3 days assisting and observing an animal health worker training seminar. Part of the goal of the training is to educate and enable individuals to treat and care for the animals (cattle, goats mainly) in areas where there is no veterinary care. The participants were eager to learn. We ate a lot of beans and rice. There was usually cabbage too. Most nights there was some form of meat - just pick out what you want - knee with ligaments and cartilage, broken pieces of bone. No one seemed to mind though except me. Spoiled American. Did I mention there were small rocks and grit in the rice :)

Anyway, it's late. Stay tuned for the play by play of the rest of our week!

No comments:

Post a Comment